Conchigilie pasta with rich tomato sauce
- May 2013
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 minutes, cooking time 60 minutes
Use large pasta shells to scoop up every bit of this rich tomato, chilli and basil sauce then top with parmesan for a quick dinner.
- 11.8g (2.4g saturated)
- 25.6g (7.5g sugars)
- 50ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Large pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 chopped anchovy fillets
- 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of sugar
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- Bunch of basil
- 400g cooked conchiglie
- Grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- Heat a sauté pan and add 50ml extra-virgin olive oil. Gently fry the finely chopped onion for 10 minutes, until softened and golden. Add the crushed garlic cloves, a large pinch of chilli flakes and the chopped anchovy fillets (optional), then cook for 3 minutes more.
- Add the tinned chopped tomatoes with a pinch of sugar and a splash of red wine vinegar, then season. Add the stalks from a bunch of basil, bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 1 hour, adding a splash of water if needed. Discard the stalks.
- Toss through the cooked conchiglie with 2 tbsp cooking water. Season and serve with grated parmesan.
For al dente (firm to the bite) pasta, cook it for 1 minute less than suggested on the packet. To see if it’s ready, cut a piece in two – it should have a thin line of uncooked dough in the middle.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spinach and garlic fusilli with crispy breadcrumbs
You’ll find almost everything you need for this spinach and garlic fusilli recipe in your...
Budget pasta recipes
Filini pasta with asparagus, peas and wild garlic pesto
Debbie Major’s wild garlic pesto is a winner with any pasta dish. This recipe is...