Conchigilie pasta with rich tomato sauce
- May 2013
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 minutes, cooking time 60 minutes
Use large pasta shells to scoop up every bit of this rich tomato, chilli and basil sauce then top with parmesan for a quick dinner.
- 11.8g (2.4g saturated)
- 25.6g (7.5g sugars)
- 50ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Large pinch of chilli flakes
- 2 chopped anchovy fillets
- 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of sugar
- Splash of red wine vinegar
- Bunch of basil
- 400g cooked conchiglie
- Grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- Heat a sauté pan and add 50ml extra-virgin olive oil. Gently fry the finely chopped onion for 10 minutes, until softened and golden. Add the crushed garlic cloves, a large pinch of chilli flakes and the chopped anchovy fillets (optional), then cook for 3 minutes more.
- Add the tinned chopped tomatoes with a pinch of sugar and a splash of red wine vinegar, then season. Add the stalks from a bunch of basil, bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 1 hour, adding a splash of water if needed. Discard the stalks.
- Toss through the cooked conchiglie with 2 tbsp cooking water. Season and serve with grated parmesan.
For al dente (firm to the bite) pasta, cook it for 1 minute less than suggested on the packet. To see if it’s ready, cut a piece in two – it should have a thin line of uncooked dough in the middle.
Rate & review