Easy midweek spaghetti bolognese
- July 2017
- Makes 2 x 4 servings
- Hands-on time 15 minutes, simmering time 30 min
Our easy recipe for spaghetti bolognese is perfect for midweek. It makes a double batch of sauce, so you can keep half in the freezer for another weeknight dinner.
Why not also take a peek at this spaghetti bolognese? Similar recipe, but contains a dollop of pesto to ring the changes.
- 23.4g (8.8g saturated)
- 84.2g (13.2g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 500g carrots, finely chopped
- 2 x 450g beef mince
- 200ml red wine
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 100ml whole milk
- 400g spaghetti (for 4 servings)
- In a large saucepan, heat a glug of oil, then add the onions and carrots. Fry on a medium heat for 5 minutes until starting to soften. Add the mince and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes until it starts to brown and breaks up.
- Turn up the heat and add the red wine. Cook to reduce for 2-3 minutes, then add the tomatoes, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and milk. Simmer for 20–30 minutes (it will only get better if you cook it for longer, as the Italians do). Taste and season with salt and pepper. Your sauce is now ready to divide into batches and chill or freeze. If you’re eating one batch now, read on.
- For the last 15 minutes of the cooking time, bring a large pan of water to the boil and add the spaghetti. Cook according to the pack instructions until just tender but still with some bite (al dente). Drain, toss in a four-person batch of your sauce (that’s half of what you’ve made) and serve straightaway.
Add a pinch of sugar to the sauce if the tomatoes are a little tart. Add a pinch of chilli flakes with the mince for a little spice if you like.
This isn’t a classic bolognese, but it’s a good one nevertheless. Divide the cooked, cooled sauce into batches and put in labelled, sealed bags or containers. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days or can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge and heat thoroughly before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...