Vegetable bolognese (vegan)
- October 2005
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 30 mins
This delicious alternative to classic meat bolognese is both vegetarian and vegan – it’s packed with carrots, peppers and mushrooms.
You can also try Elly Pear’s mushroom, lentil and walnut bolognese for another vegan alternative.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 4.6g (0.8g saturated)
- 61.4g (13.7g sugars)
- Trace salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 100g carrots (about 3), finely sliced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 75g mushrooms, chopped
- 500g carton creamed tomatoes
- 50g broccoli, chopped
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- 250g dried spaghetti
- Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes to soften but not colour. Add the carrots and cook for 5 minutes, then add the pepper and cook for a further 2 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and creamed tomatoes and bring to the boil. Add the broccoli and basil leaves and simmer for 5 minutes or until all the vegetables are tender.
- Whizz the vegetables in a food processor, in batches, until very finely chopped. Return the sauce to a saucepan to warm through.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and cook the spaghetti according to packet instructions. Drain and toss through the sauce to serve.
You could also add this to your regular minced meat bolognese in place of canned tomatoes. Use half the quantity of sauce to 500g minced meat. You can make the sauce in bulk and freeze it.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Budget pasta recipes
One-pot garlic, sun-dried tomato and pecorino pasta
This quick one-pan recipe will change the way you eat pasta. As garlic, chilli, tomatoes...