- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500g lean beef mince
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 x 400g tins chopped plum tomatoes
- 3 tbsp ready-made basil pesto (we like Sacla)
- 30g mature Cheddar, finely grated
- Freshly cooked spaghetti to serve
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over a high heat and add the mince. Cook for 6-7 minutes until golden brown. Turn the heat to medium, add the garlic and onion, then cook for 5 minutes more with the lid on.
- Add the tomato purée, stir well, then add the tinned tomatoes and cook for 15-20 minutes. Just before serving, add the pesto, taste and adjust the seasoning. Add a generous sprinkling of Cheddar and you are there. Serve with spaghetti, cooked and drained according to the packet instructions.
- Next time around, try these ideas: 1. For cottage pie, spoon your bolognese sauce into an ovenproof dish and top with mashed potato. Bake in the oven at 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 for 30 minutes until bubbling. 2. Make a chilli. When frying the onion, add 2 tsp each of ground cumin and coriander, plus a pinch of chilli flakes. Drain and rinse a tin of red kidney beans and stir through for the last 10 minutes of cooking. Serve with rice or jacket potatoes.
- You can freeze the sauce before adding the pesto and cheese. It will keep for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge, then finish the recipe.