Filo lamb with spiced aubergine ragû
- December 2009
- Serves 2
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
This quick lamb recipe with an aubergine accompaniment is ready in just 30 minutes! Use pork instead of lamb if you prefer.
- 190g jar oven-roasted tomatoes in oil
- 2 x 150g thick lamb neck fillets
- 2 tsp Middle eastern spice, such as baharat
- 6 filo pastry sheets
- 1 large aubergine, diced
- 75g baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 200°c/fan180°c/gas 6.
- Drain the tomatoes, reserving the oil, and roughly chop. Season the lamb, brush with a little of the reserved oil and coat in 1 tsp Middle eastern spice.
- Heat a frying pan over a high heat, add the lamb and brown on all sides. Set aside.
- Layer 3 filo sheets, brushing each layer with a little oil. Repeat to make 2 piles of filo. Lay a lamb fillet in the centre of each filo pile and top with a quarter of the tomatoes. Fold the short ends in, then roll up to enclose.
- Place on a lined baking sheet, seam-side down, and brush with more oil. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the aubergine and the rest of the spice blend. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, then stir in the rest of the tomatoes and 150ml water. Simmer for 6-8 minutes. Stir in the spinach until wilted, then serve with the lamb parcels.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Lamb and aubergine stew with houmous
We’ve served our incredibly flavoursome lamb and aubergine stew on top of a smooth, creamy...
Goat's cheese recipes
Rack of lamb with aubergine, goat’s cheese and spring herb
You can assemble the bake in advance and cook it with the lamb dish. Griddle...
Harissa lamb with bulgur, aubergine and tomato salad
A quick, impressive-looking lamb dish with North African flavours.