Fried green tomatoes with buttermilk dressing
- August 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min
A traditional southern recipe of fried green tomatoes makes a great snack for a night in with a film.
- 28.3g (8.5g saturated)
- 25.6g (4.9g sugars)
- 175g cornmeal or polenta
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- 4 large or 8 small green tomatoes (see tips)
- 200g lard or 200ml sunflower oil (or a mixture of the two) for frying
For the spice mix
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch ground cloves
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
For the buttermilk dressing
- 80g mayonnaise
- 120ml buttermilk
- Zest and juice ½ lime, plus extra zest to serve
- 3 splashes each Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco, or to taste, plus a few splashes Tabasco to serve
- 1 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 large fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, then taste and season. In another bowl, combine all the ingredients for the spice mix. Put the cornmeal/polenta in a shallow dish and the eggs in another.
- Cut the tomatoes into 1cm slices and gently pat dry with kitchen paper. Sprinkle all over with the spice mix, then carefully pat with your fingers to coat. Dip in the beaten eggs, then the cornmeal/polenta to coat. Meanwhile heat the lard/oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the tomatoes in small batches, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook for 3-4 minutes until lightly golden, turning once, then transfer to kitchen paper to drain briefly. Serve hot (but not scalding!), with the dressing for dipping, sprinkled with more lime zest and Tabasco.
Find green tomatoes at specialist grocers. If you can’t get hold of any, use large underripe red tomatoes instead.
This dish is best eaten as soon as it’s cooked, so make sure all the ingredients are prepared before you begin and try to work quickly.
Make the dressing the day before, then cover and chill in the fridge overnight.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Healthy salad recipes
Lentil and roasted vegetable salad with buttermilk dressing
Make the most of seasonal spring produce in a hearty vegetarian salad paired with a...