Fruit tea loaf
- April 2016
- Makes 12-14 slices
- Hands-on 30 min, oven 55 min, plus rising & proving
This fruity bread recipe combines prunes, sultanas and currants with the delicate flavour of earl grey tea. It’s a loaf that’s great served with a wedge of cheese for lunch.
- 9.3g (4.4g saturated)
- 53.6g (21.1g sugars)
- 2 earl grey tea bags
- 200ml boiling water
- 250g prunes, pitted and finely chopped
- 80g sultanas
- 80g currants
- 60g unsalted butter
- 60g lard
- 300g strong white bread flour
- 300g plain flour
- 7g fast-action dried yeast
- 100g soft light brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- Flavourless oil for greasing
You’ll also need…
- 20cm square cake tin, lightly oiled
- Put the teabags in a mixing bowl and pour over the boiling water. Add the dried fruit and set aside to steep.
- Meanwhile, in a separate large mixing bowl, rub the butter and lard into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the yeast, sugar, spices and salt.
- Remove and discard the tea bags, then stir the eggs into the fruit/tea mixture. Tip it all into the flour mixture and mix to bring it together into a dough using a wooden spoon or palette knife. Cover with cling film, then leave in a warm place for 10 minutes.
- Turn out the dough onto a clean surface, then gently knead for 3-4 minutes. It will be sticky and very heavy.
- Put the dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with cling film. Leave in a warm place to rise for 1½ hours.
- Tip the dough onto the work surface and gently knead to remove any large air pockets. Shape into a rough 20cm square. Drop it in the tin, then press it gently down. Leave to prove for 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas 5. Bake the loaf for 55 minutes or until risen and golden brown. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool before serving.
This is great served with salted butter and a wedge of Lincolnshire poacher cheese.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter