Gnocchi with roasted hazelnuts, garlic and anchovy cream
- May 2019
- Serves 2-3
- Hands-on time 30 min
Got a spare batch of mash sitting in the fridge? Use it to make fresh gnocchi from scratch. This whole meal takes just 30 minutes to make, start to finish.
- 31.7g (16g saturated)
- 66.6g (2.6g sugars)
- 175g plain flour
- 400g leftover mash, at room temperature
- 1 free-range egg yolk, beaten
- 30g butter
- 1 tbsp light olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4-6 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped
- 100ml single cream
- 30g parmesan, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 2 handfuls rocket leaves
- 2 tsp shelled hazelnuts, toasted in a pan and roughly chopped
- Sprinkle 25g of the flour over the base of a baking tray. Spread the mashed potato onto a clean work surface to a 2cm thickness. Drizzle over the beaten egg yolk, then sprinkle over 100g flour.
- Using a palette knife or dough scraper, fold the egg and flour into the potato until evenly combined. Using your hands, bring the dough together into a ball. Lightly dust the surface with 1 tablespoon of the remaining flour, then roll into a log roughly 18cm long.
- Sprinkle with more of the remaining flour to make sure the dough isn’t sticky (you may not need to use all the flour), then cut the dough into roughly 1cm discs. One at a time, cut each disc in half, then shape each half into a 3cm-long cigar. Put the gnocchi in a single layer on the floured tray and set aside.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Add the gnocchi and cook for 2-3 minutes or until they float to the surface. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Heat the butter, oil and garlic in a large frying pan over a medium heat until the garlic just softens. Add the drained gnocchi to the pan, then cook for about 3 minutes on each side until lightly golden.
- Stir in the anchovies, cream and half the parmesan, adding a little water, if needed, to loosen. Bring to a simmer and bubble for 2 minutes. Divide between 2 bowls, then top with rocket, hazelnuts, the rest of the parmesan and some pepper.
Rate & review