Cheesy mushroom and sage gnocchi
- April 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min
Gnocchi is the midweek go-to when it comes to quick, comfort food. We’ve baked it with mushrooms, cheese and tomato sauce in this vegetarian bake recipe.
We’ve got lots more recipes like this, take a look at all our gnocchi recipes.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 6.9g (2.8g saturated)
- 41.8g (9.8g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 x 250g packs chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 10 fresh sage leaves, 4 finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp good quality balsamic vinegar (we like Belazu)
- 400-500g pack fresh gnocchi
- 25g freshly grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- 30g grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- Heat a glug of olive oil in a shallow flameproof casserole, then fry the quartered mushrooms for 5-6 minutes over a medium-high heat until browned. Add the garlic and chopped sage, then cook, stirring, for another minute.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes plus half a tomato tin of water and the balsamic vinegar. Simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened. Stir in the gnocchi and cook for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, heat the grill to high. Scatter the grated cheese over the gnocchi. Brush the reserved sage leaves with a little oil, then scatter on top of the cheese. Pop the casserole under the grill for 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted and turned golden brown.
Next time, swap sage for basil and mushrooms for sliced peppers or leeks.
If making ahead, add the gnocchi in step 2 but don’t cook it at all. Scatter the cheese over the pasta bake, then cover and store in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Heat in a 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 oven for 25-30 minutes until piping hot and golden on top.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian comfort food recipes
Baked gnocchi with cream, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce
This recipe of soft, pillowy gnocchi baked in a creamy blue cheese mushroom sauce is...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...