Gnocchi gratin with broccoli and spinach
- June 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Gnocchi, mixed with broccoli and spinach, then smothered in a cheesy sauce – this easy gratin takes midweek comfort food to a whole new level.
Can’t get enough of those fluffy little potato dumplings? We’ve got 50+ more gnocchi recipes for you to try.
- 17.6g (9.5g saturated)
- 66g (11g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 350ml milk
- 280g light cream cheese
- 100g spinach
- 100g kale
- 1 small broccoli head, cut into small florets
- 600g ready-made gnocchi
- 30g grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until it starts to soften. Add the flour and fry for a minute more before gradually whisking in the milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens and bubbles, then reduce the heat and stir in the cream cheese. Turn off the heat.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Boil a large saucepan of water. Put the kale in a colander and pour over a kettle of boiling water. Drain, refresh with cold water, then squeeze out as much water as possible. Add the gnocchi and broccoli to the boiling water and simmer for 4-5 minutes, then drain and pat dry. Stir the veg and gnocchi into the sauce, then pour into a 1.5 litre baking dish. Sprinkle over the grated cheese and grill for 15 minutes or until golden.
Double the quantities and assemble in 2 ovenproof dishes. Leave one to cool, then freeze it without the parmesan.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian comfort food recipes
Baked gnocchi with cream, mushrooms and blue cheese sauce
This recipe of soft, pillowy gnocchi baked in a creamy...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter