Gnocchi gratin with broccoli and spinach
- June 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Gnocchi, mixed with green veg and smothered in a cheesy sauce – this gratin takes midweek comfort food to a whole new level.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 17.6g (9.5g saturated)
- 66g (11g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 heaped tbsp plain flour
- 350ml milk
- 280g light cream cheese
- 100g spinach
- 100g kale
- 1 small broccoli head, cut into small florets
- 600g ready-made gnocchi
- 30g grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until it starts to soften. Add the flour and fry for a minute more before gradually whisking in the milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens and bubbles, then reduce the heat and stir in the cream cheese. Turn off the heat.
- Heat the grill to medium-high. Boil a large saucepan of water. Put the kale in a colander and pour over a kettle of boiling water. Drain, refresh with cold water, then squeeze out as much water as possible. Add the gnocchi and broccoli to the boiling water and simmer for 4-5 minutes, then drain and pat dry. Stir the veg and gnocchi into the sauce, then pour into a 1.5 litre baking dish. Sprinkle over the grated cheese and grill for 15 minutes or until golden.
Double the quantities and assemble in 2 ovenproof dishes. Leave one to cool, then freeze it without the parmesan.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Puy lentils with roasted vegetables and griddled halloumi
This Mediterranean inspired vegetarian recipe is great for using up leftover vegetables in the fridge....
This vegetarian spaghetti recipe is bursting with summer flavours and overflowing with goodness.