Gnocchi with watercress and walnut pesto
- November 2016
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 20 min
A quick vegetarian gnocchi recipe, for two people, served with a full-of-flavour walnut and watercress pesto; a midweek meal ready in 25 minutes.
We’ve got lots more recipes like this, take a look at all our gnocchi recipes.
- 29.3g (6.7g saturated)
- 75.2g (2.2g sugars)
- 500g fresh potato gnocchi
For the cheese crisps
- 30g parmesan or vegetarian alternative
For the pesto
- 75g watercress
- 1 large garlic clove
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon plus juice ½
- 10g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, finely grated
- 40g shelled walnuts
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Line a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper. For the crisps, grate the parmesan or alternative, then arrange in 5-6cm circles on the baking paper. Bake for 3-4 minutes until the cheese has melted to form golden crisps. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the baking sheet while you make the pesto.
- Put all the pesto ingredients, apart from the olive oil, into a food processor and whizz to a smooth paste. With the motor still running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil and 2 tbsp water to make a thick pesto.
- Cook the gnocchi according to the pack instructions, then drain, reserving a couple of tablespoons of the water.
- Add the reserved water to the pesto, then mix it with the gnocchi. Serve with the cheese crisps.
Use a medium grater to grate the cheese as the strands melt and bond together better if they have a bit of substance.
Make the pesto a few hours in advance; keep covered in the fridge.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter