Green bean, potato and feta salad
- January 2006
- 300-400g new potatoes, peeled or scraped
- 150g thin green beans, stalk ends trimmed
- 750g broad beans in pods, shelled (gives about 225g shelled beans)
- 2 packs Discover Salad Feta With Stuffed Spanish Olives, drained
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 50g can anchovies in oil
- 2 baby gherkins or cornichons
- 3 organic eggs, hard-boiled
- 1 red onion or large pink-fleshed shallot, halved and finely sliced, then soaked in cold water with a dash of vinegar (optional)
- Cut the potato into bite-sized pieces and cook in boiling salted water for 15 minutes, then drain. Cook the green beans in boiling salted water for 4 minutes. Add the broad beans, cook for 1 minute, then drain and refresh under cold running water.
- Put the potatoes and beans into a serving dish. Remove the garlic and half the olives from the feta and reserve. Add the feta and remaining olives to the bean mixture.
- Make the dressing. Crush the garlic from the feta pack with a little salt. Mix with the mustard and vinegar in a small bowl, whisking in the oil a little at a time. Season. Chop the reserved olives, anchovies and gherkins. Sieve the garlic out of the dressing and mix the olives, anchovies and gherkins into the dressing. Mix into the salad. Quarter the eggs and add to the salad along with the onion slices, if using.
The potato can be added hot or replaced with wedges of tomato for a lighter meal. Shredded runner or flat beans could also be added to the salad.
You can make this in advance and store it in the fridge – bring it back to room temperature by putting it into a fresh bowl and leaving it out of the fridge for about 20 minutes before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter