Griddled prawns with garlic butter and salsa
- September 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 25 min
This griddled prawns recipe can be made on the barbecue or in a griddle pan. They are accompanied with a colourful summery salsa.
- 4.2g (0.6g saturated)
- 2g (2g sugars)
- 12-16 large sustainably sourced raw prawns
For the salsa
- Bunch fresh coriander
- Small bunch fresh parsley
- 2 green chillies (see tip)
- 3 large red and yellow tomatoes or large handful cherry tomatoes
- Good pinch caster sugar
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Good glug extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for rubbing
For the garlic butter
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- For the salsa, snip the herbs into a bowl, then snip in the chillies and the tomatoes (be careful as you insert the point of the scissors into the tomato – they can spurt). Stir in the sugar and vinegar, season well and stir in enough olive oil to make a thick salsa.
- Melt the butter with the garlic in a pan, remove from the heat and leave to infuse.
- Rub the prawns all over with a little olive oil. On a barbecue, or on a griddle pan on the campfire or the hob over a high heat, add the prawns and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until pink all over. Serve with the salsa and garlic butter.
To de-seed a chilli without a knife, roll between your hands, snip off the top and tap against the side of a bowl to knock out the seeds. This will reduce the heat a little, but the hottest parts of a chilli are the strips of white pith – so snip these out too, if you want.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
King prawns with garlic and chilli (gambas al ajillo)
Try this easy recipe for garlic and juicy chilli king prawns as part of a...