Griddled vegetables and feta couscous
- June 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 min
Use whatever vegetables are in season to make this vegetable and feta couscous. It makes a great, satisfying yet healthy lunchbox filler.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 36.5g (7.2g saturated)
- 48.7g (8.4g sugar)
- 250g wholegrain couscous (see tip)
- 1 courgette, cut lengthways into thin slices
- 1 aubergine, cut lengthways into thin slices
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into long thin slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 large red chilli, finely chopped
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
- 50g dried sour cherries (from major supermarkets)
- 150g feta, crumbled into pieces
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Tub of fresh houmous, to serve
- Place the couscous in a large bowl and pour over boiling water until just covered. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave for 5 minutes or until the couscous has absorbed the water. Fluff up the grains with a fork.
- Heat a griddle pan until hot. Place the courgette, aubergine and peppers in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the cumin and fennel seeds until all the vegetables are coated. Place the vegetables on the griddle pan, a few at a time, and griddle for 2 minutes each side, until charred and softened.
- Stir the griddled vegetables into the couscous along with the remaining olive oil, lemon juice, chilli, pine nuts and sour cherries.
- Fold in the feta and coriander and season well. Serve with the houmous and barbecued lamb.
Couscous is made from fine semolina and is a versatile, easy-to-use grain. Look out for wholegrain couscous as it has a wonderful nutty taste and texture and holds its shape better in salads. It’s readily available in all major supermarkets. You can cook the vegetables on the barbecue before adding to the couscous, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes that will make you excited for autumn
Spicy butterbean, chickpea and butternut squash stew
Enjoy this vegetarian stew recipe, made with butternut squash, butterbeans and chickpeas, as a healthy...