Griddled za’atar flatbreads
- October 2021
- Makes 8
- Hands on time 35-40 min, plus proving
These simple za’atar flatbreads are really easy to make. Just 30 minutes proving, then they’re ready to griddle in a hot pan. Serve with tagines, houmous or slow-roast lamb.
Make a meal of it: try our halloumi and pea falafel flatbreads with houmous and slaw.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Vegan recipes
- 2.2g (0.4g saturated)
- 28.4g (0.2g sugars)
- ½ tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 180ml lukewarm water
- 300g white bread flour, plus extra to dust
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp za’atar spice mix
You’ll also need…
- 2-3 large baking trays dusted with flour
- Large heavy-based frying pan or griddle pan
- 1-2 clean tea towels
- Whisk the yeast, warm water and a spoonful of the flour in a bowl until the yeast dissolves. Leave the bowl in a warm place for a few minutes until frothy.
- Put the remaining flour and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre, pour in the yeast mixture and olive oil and combine to form a soft dough. Knead for 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Cover the bowl with a clean tea towel and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and shape each into a ball. Flour the work surface, take a ball and flatten it with your hands to form a round. Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to form a thin round about 20cm across. Scatter with a little za’atar and roll again to press it into the dough. Set aside on a lightly floured tray while you shape the remaining flatbreads.
- Heat the frying/griddle pan over a high heat. Cook the flatbreads one at a time, for about 1 minute on each side, until puffed and golden. Wrap in a clean tea towel and keep warm (see Make Ahead) until ready to serve.
Make the za’atar flatbreads up to 1 day ahead. Cool completely, then wrap in foil. Reheat in a low oven for 5 minutes until warmed through.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cumin seed flatbreads
Make these homemade flatbreads, flavoured with cumin seeds, and use them to serve with salads,...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...