Halloumi and pea falafel flatbreads with houmous and slaw
- February 2019
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, oven time 6-8 min
Try our easy DIY falafel recipe made with halloumi, peas and leeks. Then use to fill flatbreads along with dollops of houmous, coleslaw and freshly squeezed lemon wedges.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 29g (4.6g saturated)
- 61.5g (5.9g sugars)
- Olive oil
- 1 chopped small leek
- 100g frozen peas
- 250g halloumi
- 150g pack of Al Fez falafel mix
- 6 flatbreads
- 1 pot of houmous
- Red cabbage salad or coleslaw, chopped fresh flatleaf parsley and lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4. Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chopped leek and cook for 6-8 minutes until soft. Stir in the frozen peas and cook for a few minutes.
- Chop 125g halloumi into 1cm cubes and grate another 125g halloumi. Put in a bowl, then stir in a the pack of Al Fez falafel mix, the pea and leek mixture and 150ml cold water. Leave to stand for 3-4 minutes, then shape into 18 golf ball-size falafels.
- Heat 2-3 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick frying pan, then cook the falafels for 3-5 minutes, turning regularly, until golden all over. Transfer to a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 6-8 minutes. Warm 6 flatbreads in the oven, spread each with 2 tbsp houmous, then add a spoonful of red cabbage salad or coleslaw, 3 of the falafels and some chopped fresh flatleaf parsley. Serve with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over.
Rate & review