Grilled mackerel with tomato and avocado salsa
- August 2009
- For 4 people
- Takes 15 minutes to make and 5 minutes to cook
Grilled mackerel with fresh tomato and avocado salsa is easy to prepare, healthy to eat and sustainable, too!
- 57.7g (14.3g saturated)
- 19.3g (3.4g sugars)
- 75g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 30g butter, melted, plus extra for greasing
- 8 mackerel fillets
- 300g tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 2 ripe avocados, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the grill to medium high. Mix the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the herbs, lemon zest and butter, and season well. Lay the mackerel skin-side down on a greased baking tray and top with the breadcrumbs.
- In another bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients and season. Grill the fish for 4-5 minutes until it’s cooked and the crust is golden. Serve with the salsa and new potatoes, if you like.
For a picnic salad, make the salsa and grill the mackerel as per the recipe, then allow the mackerel to cool. Add a can of drained and rinsed butter beans to the salsa, then flake in the mackerel and pack into a container.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
November seasonal recipes
Mackerel flatbreads with pickled kohlrabi and parsley potatoes
A quick and easy way of serving mackerel, on flatbreads...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter