Halloumi and roasted veg kebabs with basil spaghetti
- July 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 30 minutes to make, plus soaking the skewers
This halloumi and roasted veg kebab recipe makes the perfect vegetarian barbecue offering.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 45.1g (14.3g saturated)
- 85.1g (6.5g sugar)
- 50g fresh basil, plus extra to serve
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 250g haloumi, drained and cubed
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and roughly cubed
- 6 mushrooms, halved
- 1 courgette, roughly cubed
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 400g spaghetti
- Preheat the barbecue. Soak 8 wooden skewers in water for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the basil, oil and seasoning in a small food processor or blender and whizz to a purée. Put 2 tablespoons of the mixture into a large bowl. Add the haloumi and vegetables and gently toss together.
- Meanwhile, heat a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the pine nuts and dry-fry for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until toasted. Set aside. Put a large pan of lightly salted water on to boil, ready for the pasta.
- Thread the haloumi and vegetables alternately onto the skewers. Cook on the hot barbecue for 10 minutes, turning halfway, until the vegetables are just tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the packet instructions. Drain well, tip back into the pan and toss with another 2 tablespoons of the basil mixture and pine nuts. Divide between bowls, scatter with a few basil leaves and serve with the skewers alongside.
This makes more basil mixture than you need, but it’s easier to make in larger quantities and keeps for 24 hours. Toss it through tomato or pasta salads.
To cook indoors: Cook the skewers on a foil-lined baking tray under a hot grill or, in batches, in a griddle pan for 10 minutes, until charred.
Rate & review