Halloumi with saffron tomato salad
- September 2009
- Serves 6-8
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 8 minutes to cook, plus marinating and soaking
Who doesn’t love haloumi? This lovely salad is great as part of a barbecue feast or as a light supper.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 28g (12.1g saturated)
- 25.5g (1.4g sugar)
Based on 8
- 500g haloumi, cut into 2cm chunks
- Pinch saffron strands
- 6 large red chillies, deseeded and quartered lengthways
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 120ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 240g bulgur wheat, rinsed
- 2 tbsp capers, drained and rinsed
- 40ml sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp black onion seeds or kalonji seeds (from ASDA and Waitrose)
- Handful rocket leaves
- Light/preheat the barbecue and soak 6-8 wooden skewers in warm water for 30 minutes.
- Place the haloumi, saffron, chillies, tomatoes and oil in a bowl. Season, cover and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the bulgur wheat in a bowl, pour over boiling water, cover with cling film, leave for 20 minutes, then fluff up with a fork.
- Drain off the excess oil (reserving it in a jug) from the haloumi mixture, then thread the haloumi, chillies and tomatoes onto the skewers and barbecue for 2 minutes each side.
- Add the capers, vinegar and onion seeds to the reserved oil and mix well. Stir a few spoonfuls of dressing into the bulgur wheat, then add the rocket.
- Divide the salad among plates and top with the barbecued haloumi, tomatoes and chilli. Drizzle with the remaining dressing, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Greek salad with mint and fried halloumi
This Greek salad recipe from Silvana Franco is bound to be a hit whether you’re...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...