Cheat’s asparagus, ham and cheese tart
- May 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 min to make and 15 min to bake
Behold: our easy ham and cheese tart! Add asparagus, ham and a creamy, cheesy sauce to shop-bought pastry for a quick, easy springtime lunch.
- 375g pack fresh ready-rolled puff pastry
- 200g tub light cream cheese with chives
- 2 large, free-range eggs, 1 beaten
- 50g gruyère cheese, grated
- 2 slices cooked ham, chopped
- 16 asparagus spears, trimmed
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7 and put a baking tray inside to heat up. Unroll the pack of fresh ready-rolled puff pastry and cut into 4 rectangles. Score a 2.5cm border all around the pastry.
- In a bowl, mix the light cream cheese with chives with 1 egg, until smooth, then stir in half the gruyère cheese, half the ham and season with black pepper. Spread within the border of each pastry piece.
- Arrange 4 asparagus spears lengthways on top of each tart, then brush the pastry borders with the beaten egg.
- Scatter the remaining cheese and ham over the tarts, then transfer to the hot baking tray. Bake for 15 minutes, until risen.
- Divide between plates and serve with a mixed salad, if you like.
Rate & review