Ham hock caesar salad
- June 2011
- 1 small ciabatta loaf, torn into small chunks
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cooked ham hock (from your supermarket deli counter), or use 500g shredded cooked ham
- 2-3 little gem lettuces
- 1 small cucumber, halved and deseeded with a teaspoon
- 50g Parmesan shavings
- Large handful of fresh tarragon, leaves picked
For the dressing:
- 4 tbsp cider vinegar
- 4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmesan
- 4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 200ml extra-virgin olive oil
- To make the dressing, whisk the cider vinegar with the mustard and garlic. Season well. Stir in the Parmesan and crème fraîche, then whisk in the olive oil until thick. Pour into a jam jar, screw on the lid and chill until ready to use.
- Fry the ciabatta pieces in the oil until golden and crisp, then set aside on kitchen paper to cool. Transfer to a small tub or plastic bag.
- Remove the meat from the ham hock and tear into bite-size chunks. Put in a large bowl or container. Separate the lettuces into leaves and add to the ham hock.
- Cut the cucumber into half-moons and add to the container with the Parmesan shavings and tarragon.
- Once you’re at your picnic spot, add the croutons to the salad and shake the dressing in the jar. Pour over the salad, toss well and serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...