- February 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 30 min, frying time 20 min, oven time 1 hour
This is a classic, rib-sticking French cassoulet – sausages, chicken, haricot beans and all – but with a healthy, low-calorie makeover. It’s perfect for winter.
Room for more? Why not make one of these fabulous low-fat puddings for dessert? Still plenty of comfort, but fewer calories.
- 8.9g (1.7g saturated)
- 26.6g (5.3g sugars)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to drizzle
- 4 extra-lean pork sausages (half fat), skins removed, chopped into 3cm pieces
- 4 skinless and boneless free-range chicken thighs, sliced (see tips)
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 300ml hot chicken stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- A few fresh thyme sprigs
- 2 x 400g tins haricot beans, drained and rinsed (see tips)
- 2 tbsp each pumpkin seeds and toasted breadcrumbs to serve
- Gently heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large flameproof casserole, then fry the sausages for 5-7 minutes until golden. Add the chicken and fry for 5 minutes until lightly coloured, then transfer the meat to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. If needed, add a splash of oil to the casserole, then add the onion, carrot and celery. Cover and fry gently for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the veg begin to caramelise.
- Return the chicken to the casserole with the garlic, stock, tomatoes and thyme. Cover and transfer to the oven for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the beans, then return to the oven, uncovered, for 40 minutes or until bubbling. Top with the pumpkin seeds and breadcrumbs to serve.
For a more traditional cassoulet, replace the chicken with skinless duck breast.
Next time, instead of using just one type of bean, try using a mix of haricot, borlotti and butterbeans.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken casserole recipes
Healthier chicken casserole with tarragon dumplings
The tarragon dumplings which top this easy chicken casserole are made with yogurt, instead of...
More food for thought...
Healthy makeover recipes
Enjoy all your favourite classic comfort foods, but...
These one-pot, one-pan and pot-roast recipes require minimal...
If it's cosy, comforting dishes you're craving, we've...
Our lower-calorie main course recipes will help you...