Healthier sticky gingerbread
- January 2014
- Makes 24 squares
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 50-55 min, plus cooling
Our slimline sticky gingerbread recipe still has all the sublime stickiness of the full-fat favourite.
- 2.6g (0.5g saturated)
- 21.4g (10.7g sugars)
- 100g molasses sugar
- 100g agave nectar (see Know-how)
- 150ml black treacle
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 350g plain flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g natural yogurt
- 5 pieces stem ginger in syrup, whizzed to a rough pulp in a food processor
- 250ml skimmed milk
- 2 medium free-range eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/fan150°C/gas 3½. Line a 20cm x 30cm tin or ovenproof dish with baking paper, snipping down the four corners so the paper fits snugly into the tin with sharp corners.
- Melt the sugar, agave, treacle and oil together in a pan, then cool slightly. Put the flour, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder in a large bowl with a good pinch of salt, then stir through the treacle mixture with the yogurt until smooth. Stir through the stem ginger pulp to distribute evenly, then stir through the milk and, finally, the eggs.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out. Cool completely, then cut into 5cm squares. The gingerbread improves if you keep it for a few days (see Make Ahead).
Agave nectar (also called agave syrup) is a sugar alternative made from the juice of the agave plant. It’s twice as sweet as sugar and has a lower glycaemic index.
The gingerbread keeps well, wrapped in an airtight tin in a cool place, for 4-5 days. To freeze, wrap the cooked, cooled gingerbread in cling film and foil. Defrost at room temperature, then enjoy.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Maple and rum baked bananas with toasted hazelnuts and pistachios
Bananas become soft and caramelised when baked in foil – add rum, maple syrup and...