Healthier sticky toffee pudding
- January 2016
- Serve 4-6
- Hands-on time 25 min, oven time 35 min
Try our slimmed-down sticky toffee pudding recipe, made with dates and maple syrup, that’s lower in fat than the traditional version.
- 12.7g (7.2g saturated)
- 29.1g (15.5g sugars)
- 80g pitted dates, roughly chopped
- 80ml boiling water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 60g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 100ml maple syrup
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp black treacle
- 100g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the toffee sauce
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp black treacle
- 10g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp single cream
- 1 tbsp greek yogurt
- Put the dates in a medium heatproof bowl and pour over the boiling water. Soak for 20 minutes until cool, then mash with the soaking water using a fork. Stir through the vanilla and set aside.
- While the dates are soaking, heat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/gas 31⁄2 and lightly grease a 1 litre ovenproof dish. Put the 60g butter, 100ml maple syrup, eggs, treacle, flour and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric hand mixer or balloon whisk to form a batter. Stir in the date mixture.
- Pour the batter into the dish. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the sponge has risen and is firm to the touch.
- Meanwhile, for the toffee sauce, melt the maple syrup, treacle and butter together with a pinch of salt in a small pan over a low heat. Add the cream and yogurt, then immediately take the pan off the heat and stir until smooth using a balloon whisk. Spread over the hot sponge, then serve straightaway with extra yogurt or frozen vanilla yogurt (see tip).
Greek yogurt or frozen vanilla yogurt, rather than ￼￼cream, makes a great lower-fat accompaniment.
We reduced the overall sugar content – but youdon’t notice this as we boosted the flavour by using maple syrup and black treacle. We also used single cream and yogurt instead of double cream in the sauce, to reduce the amount of fat in the dish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...