Herby chicken and lemon rice
- February 2007
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 125g cubed smoked pancetta
- Leaves of 1 small fresh rosemary sprig, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 300g mixed basmati and wild rice
- 1 batch (1 litre) frozen poached chicken meat and broth, defrosted
- 410g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Large bunch of fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped
- 25g freshly grated Parmesan to seve
- Heat the olive in large saucepan and cook the chopped onion for about 5-6 minutes, until beginning to soften. Stir in the cubed pancetta and cook for a further 5 minutes, until sizzling and golden. Stir in the rosemary and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir to coat in the juices. Strain the broth from the chicken into the pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until the rice has absorbed nearly all the liquid. Add the chicken and beans and heat for a further 5 minutes, until the rice is cooked.
- Flavour with the lemon zest and juice and the parsley. Season with a little salt and plenty of black pepper. Remove from the heat and spoon into warmed serving bowls or plates. Serve with the grated Parmesan for everyone to sprinkle over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Scandi-style chicken and rice salad
Pack up this tasty Scandi-style rice salad, in tupperware, and look forward to a filling...