Poached chicken broth
- February 2007
- Makes 3 quantities of broth
- Takes 1¼ hours to cook, plus 1 hour’s cooling
This hearty chicken broth recipe is perfect for a hangover or a cold. Mop it up with some crusty bread.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 1 large (about 2.5kg) good-quality chicken, without giblets
- 10 peppercorns
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 leeks or onions, roughly chopped
- 4 thin carrots, halved lengthways
- 3 celery sticks, halved
- Small bunch of fresh thyme
- Small bunch of fresh parsley
- 2 tsp celery salt
- Place the chicken in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole with the peppercorns, bay leaves, leeks or onions, carrots and celery. Tie up the herbs with string and add to the pan with the celery salt. Pour over 4 litres water to cover the chicken and place on the hob.
- Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour, until the chicken is cooked through. Leave in the broth until cool enough to handle.
- Remove the chicken from the broth and place on a board to cool completely. Remove the cooled meat from the chicken carcass and slice or shred.
The chicken broth can be used in the following recipes:
You’ll need the biggest pot you can find to submerge the chicken.
To freeze, divide the meat between three 2-litre containers.
To defrost the chicken and broth: remove the container from the freezer and defrost at room temperature (it will take about 6-8 hours).
Rate & review