Homemade rye crackers
- April 2019
- Makes 10 large crackers
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 20 min
The perfect accompaniment to a cheeseboard, these easy-to-make rye crackers can be scaled up in batches to serve as many as needed.
- Vegan recipes
- 8.1g (1.2g saturated)
- 22.4g (0.4g sugars)
- 150g rye flour
- 150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to brush
- 3 tbsp mixed seeds (such as coriander, fennel and sesame)
You’ll also need…
- 2 baking sheets lined with non-stick baking paper
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Mix the flours and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in 145ml cold water and the
4 tbsp olive oil. Use your hands to bring it together and form a dough, adding a little more water if needed.
- Tip the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Cut into
10 pieces, then roll out each as thinly as possible into any shape you like.
- Transfer the crackers to the lined baking sheets, brush with a little
extra oil and sprinkle with mixed seeds and a grinding of black pepper.
Bake for 7-8 minutes until golden and cooked to your liking (you’ll
need to do this in batches). Transfer to a wire rack to cool and continue with the remaining dough.
- Break up the crackers to serve or put in food bags and keep in a cool place (see Make Ahead).
Add any flavours you like to these. Try lightly crushed fennel and coriander seeds for a spiced twist.
Wrap in cellophane bags and tie with parcel string for a dinner-party gift. This recipe can be scaled up in batches to serve as many as needed.
Keep the cooled crackers in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Poppy and sesame seed crackers
Do you have a cheese fiend in your life? Then how about making a parcel...
Gouda rye crackers
Crunchy rye crackers make a lovely addition to any dinner party cheeseboard, plus their perfect...