Honey and mustard baked chicken and rice
- April 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min
Jazz up a thrifty pack of chicken drumsticks with a tangy storecupboard marinade in this sticky honey-baked chicken dish.
You can try using honey on a whole roast chicken too, like in this Gary Rhodes’ honey lemon and thyme roast chicken recipe.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 21.9g (4.7g saturated)
- 70.8g (10.5g sugars)
- 2½ tbsp clear honey, plus extra to drizzle
- 2½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
- Zest and juice 1 lemon, plus wedges for squeezing (optional)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 free-range, skin-on chicken drumsticks (about 1kg)
- 300g basmati rice
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 500ml hot chicken stock (made with a stock cube)
- Handful fresh parsley, leaves picked
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Mix the honey, mustard, lemon zest and juice and the oil in a large mixing bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken drumsticks and mix thoroughly to coat in the marinade (see Make Ahead).
- Spread the rice in an even layer over the base of a large shallow roasting tin. Arrange the leeks evenly over the rice and sit the chicken drumsticks on top (see tip).
- Pour some of the hot stock into the mixing bowl, stirring it into any remaining marinade, then pour into the tin around the chicken along with the remaining stock. Shake the tin a little to help the rice and stock combine evenly. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil, drizzle a little extra honey over
the chicken and return to the oven. Increase the oven temperature to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7 and bake for 10-20 minutes more until the chicken is golden and cooked through and the rice is tender. Scatter with the parsley leaves and serve with extra lemon wedges for squeezing over, if you like.
If you have any leftover vegetables to use up from the fridge, just add with the rice and chicken in step 2.
Marinate the chicken up to 24 hours in advance, cover and keep in the fridge until ready to cook.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pearl barley recipes
Cider-braised chicken thighs with pearl barley, bacon, carrots and peas
September sees the ripening and falling of cider apples. Here Debbie Major shares her traditionally...