Gary Rhodes’ honey, lemon and thyme roast chicken
- November 2008
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 1 hour to roast, plus resting
Gary Rhodes’ honey, lemon and thyme roast chicken recipe is perfect for a relaxed weekend meal with friends.
- 17.2g (6.1g saturated)
- 12g (10.9g sugar)
- 1.8-2kg free-range chicken
- Large knob of butter
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1 level tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Rub the chicken all over with butter and season liberally. Place the chicken in a roasting tray and roast for 40 minutes. Remove the bird from the oven and pour any juices into a bowl.
- Mix together the lemon zest, thyme and honey and pour over the chicken before returning to the oven. Baste every 5 minutes or so. After 20 minutes, baste once more then turn off the oven, leaving the chicken to rest there for 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the roasting tray and heat the honey and juices in the tray with a little water and reserved juices to loosen, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, remove the legs from the chicken, separating the thigh and drumstick, and thickly slice the breast. Divide the chicken between 4 plates, spooning over the juices, and serve with the carrots and colcannon.
Once cooked, the chicken needs to rest, to allow the meat to relax. Here, it simply rests in the oven after you have switched the heat off.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast chicken recipes
Roast chicken with crispy potatoes, summer salad and herby hollandaise
A wonderful whole roast chicken with crispy skin-on potatoes, asparagus,...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter