- September 2014
- Serves 10
- Hands-on time 15 min, oven time 1 hour 35 min, plus cooling
Honey cake is a traditional Jewish recipe baked to celebrate Rosh Hashanah – Jewish New Year.
- 14.2g (2.2g saturated)
- 61.4g (45.4g sugars)
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 150ml sunflower oil
- 300g golden syrup
- You will also need a 2 litre loaf tin
- Grease a large 2 litre loaf tin and line with a long strip of baking paper along the base so the paper overhangs at both ends. Heat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3.
- Sift together the flour, cinnamon and ground ginger into a large bowl. Add the caster sugar and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the eggs, sunflower oil, 225ml cold water and golden syrup, then beat well using a hand whisk – it will help break up any pockets of flour that get trapped. The cake batter will be very runny.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour 35 minutes or until a skewer pushed into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack – you can use the baking paper to help ease the cake out. Cool completely, then slice and serve.
The cake keeps well and even improves – if that’s possible – in the days after baking. Store, wrapped in baking paper, in a cool, dark place for up to a week.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Easy cake recipes
Crushed almond and lavender honey cake with crème fraîche
Sweet, chewy and soft with a crunchy, toasted nut topping – this Provençal almond cake...
Impressive recipes for a special occasion
New Year's Eve at home? NO PROBLEM. Whether...
Best Easter cake recipes
Whether it's a classic simnel cake or a...
Celebration cake recipes
Celebrating a birthday party or wedding? Wow your...
Easy cake recipes
Baking doesn't have to be complicated. With our...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...