Indian paneer and cabbage curry
- November 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 40 min
Paneer replaces meat in this Indian vegetarian curry recipe. On the table and ready to eat in 40 minutes – this quick and easy recipe makes the perfect midweek dinner.
- 21.9g (8.7g saturated)
- 19.3g (16.2g sugars)
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra if needed, for frying
- 200g paneer, cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 green pepper, finely sliced
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground fenugreek
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- Thumb-size piece fresh ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ savoy cabbage, heart removed and leaves shredded
- 4 large tomatoes, diced, or ½ x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- Fresh coriander leaves and black onion seeds (sometimes called nigella) to garnish
- Flatbreads, natural yogurt and lemon wedges to serve
- Heat the oil over a high heat in a large frying pan and, when shimmering, add the paneer. Fry, turning occasionally, for 6-7 minutes until golden brown and crisp all over. Remove from the pan and set aside on a plate. Add a little more oil to the pan if necessary, then add the onions and pepper, with some salt. Fry over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes until softened but not coloured.
- Add the ground spices and fennel seeds to the pan with the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until very fragrant. Add the shredded cabbage to the pan with a large splash of water. Turn up the heat and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes more until the cabbage has wilted slightly. Add the tomatoes, sugar and garam masala, then continue to cook for 10-15 minutes over a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have broken down into a sauce and the cabbage is soft. If the sauce is looking dry, add a splash of water.
- Return the fried paneer to the pan, taste, then season with salt and pepper. Scatter with coriander leaves and black onion seeds, then serve with flatbreads, natural yogurt and lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter