Individual beef Wellingtons
- September 2010
- Serves 2
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 20-25 minutes to cook, plus chilling
These individual beef Wellingtons, with tender beef, rich pâté and flaky pastry, make an elegant meal for two that’s perfect for a special occasion such as Valentine’s Day.
- 150g chestnut mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 5g dried wild mushrooms, soaked for 20 minutes in cold water, then drained
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 x 150g fillet or rump steaks, 2-3cm thick
- 300g puff pastry
- 50g chicken liver pâté (we like Castle MacLellan)
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7. In a pan, cook the mushrooms and thyme in the olive oil over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until golden and dry-ish. Season and leave to cool slightly.
- Roll the pastry to 0.5cm thick, then cut into 2 x 40cm x 25cm rectangles. For each parcel, arrange half the mushrooms in a steak-size rectangle across the centre of the pastry. Smooth half the pâté over one side of a steak and place, pâté-side down, on the mushrooms. Season. Brush the exposed pastry with some beaten egg, then take the short sides and fold tightly over the steak and over one another. Trim and discard any pastry that extends beyond the parcel and crimp the open sides to seal. Turn over, brush all over with the remaining egg, then chill for 10 minutes.
- Bake for 12 minutes for medium rare, or longer if you like. Rest for 5 minutes, then serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Favourite vegetarian recipes
Butternut, mushroom and chestnut brioche-crust wellington
Calling all vegetarians, this meat-free wellington encased in a chewy brioche crust makes for a...
Christmas dinner recipes
Beef wellington with spinach and chestnut mushrooms
Beef wellington is a dinner party classic – perhaps because it’s a make-ahead marvel, or...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...