Italian cauliflower salad
- July 2006
- Serves 2
- Ready in 25 min
A Riminati means ‘in the style of Rimini’, although the influences in this recipe are more Sicilian and North African. This is a wonderful fragrant dish, which presents the vegetable in a whole new light.
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 52.4g (6.3g saturated)
- 29.6g (26.6g sugar)
- 1 medium cauliflower, leaves discarded, broken into small florets
- Generous pinch of saffron
- 75ml olive oil or rapeseed oil
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 50g pine nuts
- 50g raisins
- Extra-virgin olive oil, to dress
- Small handful chopped fresh mint
- Small handful chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Heat a saucepan filled with a generous amount of salted water and, when it comes to a rolling boil, pop in the cauliflower and saffron. Cook for just 2-3 minutes, so that the cauliflower picks up a little colour from the saffron but stays very much al dente. Drain well and spread on a tray to cool quickly.
- Meanwhile, put the oil in a frying pan over a high heat. When it’s just starting to show wisps of smoke, add the onion. Fry briskly for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until they start to look crispy and caramelised. Add the pine nuts and raisins. Stir and cook for just a couple of minutes (the raisins will swell and the pine nuts should colour a little). Tip into a sieve to drain off the excess oil and transfer to a large bowl.
- To serve, toss the cauliflower with the onions, nuts and raisins and season to taste. Drizzle generously with extra-virgin olive oil and scatter with the herbs. Some people like to serve this with shavings of a sheep’s cheese (Pecorino is perfect).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cauliflower and watercress pasta with crispy bacon shards
Cauliflower is roasted with parmesan and garlic before being tossed with pasta, watercress and basil...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...