Baked brie and wild mushroom tart
- October 2009
- Serves 6
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook, plus chilling
Use ready-rolled puff pastry to make this easy vegetarian tart recipe. Try using Taleggio or Camembert instead of brie, and thyme or lemon thyme instead of rosemary.
- 53.7g (28.6g saturated)
- 47g (2g sugar)
- 25g butter
- 250-300g wild or full-flavoured mushrooms, such as chestnut or oyster, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 400g baby spinach
- 2 x 375g packs ready-rolled puff pastry
- 400g mild vegetarian brie, rind removed and sliced
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the sliced mushrooms and fry over a high heat for 2-3 minutes. Reduce the heat, add the garlic and rosemary, season and fry for 1-2 minutes, then leave to cool.
- Place the spinach in a colander and pour over a kettle of boiling water to wilt, then refresh under the cold tap. Squeeze to remove all the excess water.
- Unroll 1 sheet of pastry onto a non-stick baking sheet, scatter with the cooked spinach, leaving a 2cm border, then cover with the cooled mushroom mix and finally the sliced brie. Brush the edges of the pastry with some of the beaten egg. Lay the second sheet of pastry over the filling and press with your fingers to remove any air pockets, then seal the edges well with a fork.
- Score the top of the pastry lightly with the back of a sharp knife, chill for 20 minutes, and preheat the oven to 200°c/fan180°c/gas 6.
- Brush the pastry with the remaining beaten egg and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and crisp. Cut into 4-6 squares, and serve with a crisp green salad.
If you are just using chestnut mushrooms, add a few dried porcini (soaked and drained) to add flavour. Don’t be tempted to use button mushrooms for this, as they won’t provide enough flavour.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...