Cauliflower and watercress pasta with crispy bacon shards
- March 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, simmering time 10 min, oven time 20-25 min
Cauliflower is roasted with parmesan and garlic before being tossed with pasta, watercress and basil then topped with crispy bacon.
- 28.2g (9.2g saturated)
- 95.8g (6.7g sugars)
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus an extra 2 glugs
- 1 small cauliflower
- 100g parmesan
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 4 rashers smoked British free-range streaky bacon
- 500g orecchiette pasta
- 100g watercress
- Small bunch fresh basil
- 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Pour the 2 tbsp oil into a large bowl, break the cauliflower up into bite-size florets and add to the bowl. Grate in the parmesan. Bash the garlic cloves, then add along with salt and pepper. Mix to combine, then spread out in a large baking tray. Put the bacon in another baking tray. Put both trays in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the cauliflower is tinged with colour and the bacon is crisp.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta until al dente, according to the pack instructions. Drain, toss with the watercress and a little more oil, then stir the cooked cauliflower through the pasta. Season well and add the basil.
- Break the bacon into shards. To serve, divide the pasta among 4 bowls, halve and squeeze over the lemon, then scatter over the bacon.
Remember to taste the dish and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. It will make all the difference.
Rate & review