Kohlrabi, savoy cabbage and lamb bake
- February 2014
- Serves 8
- Hands-on time 45 min, oven time 35-40 min
This delicious winter bake combines the crunch of kohlrabi with soft lamb and cabbage, creating a tasty and comforting meal.
- 29g (16.3g saturated)
- 12.4g (5.2g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- 30g unsalted butter, melted, plus extra for frying
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 300g British lamb mince
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 500g savoy cabbage, shredded, thick core removed
- 300ml chicken stock
- 4-5 fresh thyme sprigs
- 200ml double cream
- Handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 300g kohlrabi, peeled and thinly sliced
- 75g fresh breadcrumbs
- 50g grated cheddar
- Heat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/gas 5. Heat a little olive oil and a knob of butter in a large flameproof casserole or pan and gently fry the onion for 10 minutes until soft. Add the lamb mince and fennel seeds, then cook for a further 5 minutes until the mince is browned all over.
- Stir in the savoy cabbage until well mixed with the lamb and cooking juices, then add the chicken stock and thyme. Season well, then simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cream and parsley, then bubble for 1-2 minutes more.
- Toss the mince and cabbage mixture with the slices of kohlrabi in a large bowl, then tip into a 2 litre gratin dish. In another bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, 30g melted butter and cheddar, then sprinkle over the top of the gratin. Bake the gratin in the oven for about 35-40 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Kohlrabi keeps its crunch during baking, giving a wonderful texture contrast to the soft lamb and the savoy cabbage. For best results, slice it thinly.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Kohlrabi, apple and fennel salad with crab
The clean, fresh, slightly cabbagey flavour of kohlrabi is irresistible and works beautifully with raw,...
Kohlrabi with soured cream and dill
Kohlrabi, served with soured cream and dill, is a fantastic side dish with just about...
Healthy family meals
Spiced lamb mince with onions, chard and fried eggs
Serve this spicy lamb mince with pitta breads for a midweek meal that’s quick and...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...