Kohlrabi, apple and fennel salad with crab
- February 2008
- Serves 4
- Ready in 30 minutes
The clean, fresh, slightly cabbagey flavour of kohlrabi is irresistible and works beautifully with raw, finely sliced fennel and apple.
- 30.3g (5.4g saturated)
- 8.9g (8.4g sugars)
- 1 (about 250g) kohlrabi, peeled and very finely sliced on a mandolin
- 1 fennel bulb, tough outer leaves discarded, finely sliced on a mandolin
- 1 unpeeled cox’s orange pippin apple, cored and sliced
- 200g fresh white crab meat (see our how-to video below)
- Handful finely chopped fresh curly parsley leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
For the dressing
- 1 organic egg yolk
- ½ tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 100ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp double cream
- Put the kohlrabi, fennel and apple slices together with the crab meat and parsley in a large bowl with the olive oil and some seasoning. Gently toss together with your fingers, then cover and set aside.
- For the dressing, put the egg yolk, honey, Dijon mustard and cider vinegar in a blender or small food processor and season very lightly. With the motor running, very slowly drizzle the olive oil through the funnel, then briefly mix in the double cream.
- Divide the salad between serving plates, drizzle over the dressing and serve immediately with extra finely chopped parsley to garnish.
For vegetarians, replace the crab with the leaves from 2 little gem lettuces, roughly torn, and scatter the salad with a handful of toasted walnut halves to serve.
Note: this recipe contains raw egg.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...