Layered cottage pie
- October 2008
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 30 mins, plus 30 mins baking time
Cottage pie but with a twist, this recipe uses sliced potatoes for a sophisticated change to usual. It also costs less than £6 to make for four people.
If you’re looking for something with an added kick, try out this Bengali-spiced cottage pie.
- 17.7g (7g saturated)
- 66.5g (16.5g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 500g beef mince
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1.2kg potatoes, cut into 5mm slices
- 25g Cheddar, grated
- Heat the oil in a pan and gently fry the onion for 5 minutes. Add the mince and fry until browned all over.
- Stir in the tomato purée, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Add a splash of hot water and season. Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the potatoes in a pan of water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 2-3 minutes. Drain, then layer half in a baking dish. Spoon the mince over the potatoes, then layer over the remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 30 minutes, then serve.
For chilli con carne, add chilli powder, ground cumin and coriander, and a can of kidney beans to the mince. Serve with rice and soured cream.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter