Leek, lemon and white bean orzo
- April 2014
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Knob of butter
- 500g trimmed leeks
- 2 garlic cloves
- Leaves from 3 fresh thyme sprigs, plus extra to serve
- 400g tin cannellini beans
- 350g orzo
- Zest and juice 1 large unwaxed lemon
- Good splash double cream
- Good grating parmesan or vegetarian alternative
- Heat 1 tbsp of the olive oil and the butter in a large frying pan over a low-medium heat. Thinly slice the leeks and crush the garlic, then fry with the thyme leaves, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until softened. Season well.
- Meanwhile, drain and rinse the cannellini beans, then cook with the orzo in a large pan of lightly salted boiling water for 7 minutes. Drain. Squeeze in the lemon juice and scatter over most of the zest, then add the mixture to the leeks. Stir in the cream, taste and season.
- Serve scattered with the remaining lemon zest, the parmesan and some extra thyme leaves, drizzled with a little olive oil, if you like.
Next time, use mini macaroni instead of orzo, and chicory instead of leeks for a bitter flavour twist.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Budget pasta recipes
Easy orzo pasta with oregano, feta and tomato sauce
Make a change to your midweek bowl of pasta and use tiny rice-sized orzo to...