Limoncello semifreddo with strawberries
- September 2006
- Serves 4
- Takes 10 min to make, plus overnight freezing and 20 min chilling
Limoncello is a lemon-flavoured liqueur from Italy and combines well with strawberries, in this semifreddo recipe
- Gluten-free recipes
- 4 large very fresh eggs
- 75g caster sugar
- 500ml double cream
- 150ml limoncello, plus extra 4 tbsp
- 1kg small strawberries, hulled and halved
- Finely grated zest of 1 large lemon and 21/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- Separate the eggs into 2 large mixing bowls. Add the sugar to the egg yolks and beat for a few minutes with an electric hand whisk until pale and thick.
- In another bowl, whip the cream to soft peaks. Using clean beaters, whisk the egg whites to stiff but not dry peaks.
- Fold the cream into the egg yolks, then fold in 150ml limoncello. Carefully fold in the egg whites. Spoon the mixture into a shallow 2.5-litre serving dish, about 5cm deep, cover with cling film and put in the freezer until needed – at least 7-8 hours.
- About 20 minutes before serving, put the strawberries into a bowl. Add the lemon zest, lemon juice, the icing sugar and the extra 4 tablespoons limoncello. Gently stir together, cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- To serve, scoop large spoonfuls of the semifreddo onto dessert plates and spoon some of the strawberries alongside. Serve immediately as semifreddo melts faster than normal ice cream.
Note: this recipe contains raw egg.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Frozen dessert recipes
Semifreddo with iced berries and hot white chocolate sauce
Semifreddo has a light, moussey texture which doesn’t completely freeze but melts in the mouth....