Meatball and taleggio subs
- June 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, grill time 5 min
Make a big batch of our meatballs in tomato sauce and use the second half to create these saucy, cheesy taleggio subs. It’s a slightly more indulgent lunch made for the weekend…
- 36.9g (17g saturated)
- 31.8g (11.4g sugars)
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 large submarine rolls (or any bread rolls/baguette you fancy)
- ½ batch meatballs in tomato sauce
- 200g taleggio or mozzarella, sliced
- A few fresh basil leaves to garnish
- Heat the grill to high. Mix the red onions and red wine vinegar in a small non-metallic bowl and set aside for 15 minutes to quick-pickle.
- Cut the submarine rolls in half lengthwise. Spoon 5-6 meatballs and a little tomato sauce onto the bottom half of each roll. Drain the red onions and scatter over the top of the meatballs, then top with the slices of cheese.
- Put the filled sub bases on a baking tray and grill for 5-6 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and the meatballs are hot, then top with basil. Put the top half of the sub, cut-side up, under the grill briefly to warm, then sandwich on top of the meatballs and halve to give 4 portions. Don’t forget napkins!
Use any good melting cheese you like to make these satisfying subs.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Herbed crab, saffron and chilli mayonnaise with toasted baguette
An aromatic and light crab starter, packed with flavour from herbs and saffron- a must...