Mince pie loaf cake with streusel filling
- November 2020
- Makes 8-10 slices
- Hands-on on time 15 min, oven time 50-60 min.
This mince pie streusel loaf cake makes an alternative Christmas cake with a hidden surprise in the middle. This festive showstopper has a lovely moist mincemeat centre, surrounded by a buttery custard-enriched sponge – the reassuring sweetness of the cake goes beautifully with the rich fruit.
- 20.8g (11.6g saturated)
- 37.8g (18.3g sugars)
- 200g self-raising flour
- Pinch bicarbonate of soda
- 4 tsp Bird’s custard powder
- 200g unsalted butter, softened
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 3 medium free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 80g icing sugar
- Bronze Crunch (available from waitrose.com) or other sprinkles to decorate – optional
For the mince pie streusel layer
- 150g mincemeat (see tips or use our recipe)
- 15g plain flour
- 3 tbsp Biscoff biscuit spread (we used the crunchy version)
You’ll also need…
- Electric mixer; 900g loaf tin, fully lined with compostable baking paper
- Heat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/ gas 31⁄2. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, bicarb and custard powder with a pinch of salt.
- Put the butter and golden caster sugar in a separate mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then fold in the flour mixture with a large metal spoon or spatula. Stir in the milk to loosen.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix together the mincemeat, flour and Biscoff spread.
- Spoon two thirds of the cake mixture into the loaf tin, then a layer of the mincemeat mixture. Spoon over the remaining cake mixture to cover the mincemeat layer, then level the top. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until golden, well risen and springy to the touch. Leave to cool in the tin on a wire rack.
- Mix the icing sugar with enough water to make it pourable (see tip), then drizzle it over the loaf cake. If you like, sprinkle over bronze crunch or any other decoration you fancy, then serve the cake in slices.
If you’re buying mincemeat to use in this recipe, check it’s vegetarian if need be. If you like, swap the icing drizzle for a syrup made with sugar and orange juice or spiced rum.
The cooled cake will keep for a few days in an airtight make it special container.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Almond mince pies
Emine Hassan’s almond mince pies are adapted from a family recipe, made with extra orange...