- December 2014
- Makes 30
- Hands-on time 50 min, oven time 10 min
Hosting a party? Christmas party or New Year? These mini croque-monsieurs are easy to make and perfect for feeding a crowd.
- 2.3g (1.3g saturated)
- 7.1g (0.7g sugars)
- 400g good quality white bread slices (about half a loaf)
- 60g shredded ham hock or leftover ham
- 75g gruyère cheese, sliced with a peeler
For the béchamel sauce
- 20g unsalted butter, plus extra, melted, for brushing and greasing
- 1½ tbsp plain flour
- 200ml whole milk
- 1 tsp dijon mustard, plus extra for brushing
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- For the béchamel, heat the butter in a pan over a low-medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes. Turn down the heat and, stirring, gradually add the whole milk. Keep stirring until you have a thick sauce. Stir in the dijon mustard and nutmeg, then season.
- If serving immediately, heat the grill to high. Remove the crusts from the bread (see tips), cut the bread into 60 x 3cm squares and lay on a greased baking sheet. Brush half the squares with a little dijon mustard, then top with a slice of cheese and a piece of ham hock. Dollop on ¼ tsp béchamel.
- Brush one side of the remaining bread squares with melted butter,then put neatly, butter-side up, on top of the béchamel. If not grilling immediately, cover and refrigerate until needed (see make ahead).
- When ready to serve, grill the mini-sandwiches for 5 minutes until golden. Remove from the grill and flatten slightly using a clean baking sheet. Spread ¼ tsp béchamel on top of each square and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Serve on a board, skewering each with a cocktail stick.
Stack the bread slices to cut in step 2. It‘s quicker and will result in even squares.
Whizz the leftover crusts and save the breadcrumbs for treacle sponges or breaded chicken.
Assemble the croquemonsieurs without the last dollop of béchamel (step 4) up to a day ahead, then keep in the fridge, covered with cling film.
Freeze for up to 3 months and defrost as necessary.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Taleggio and chutney griddled toastie fingers
Serve these gooey griddled taleggio and chutney toastie fingers as...
Pan-fried figs, serrano ham, cream cheese and walnuts on toast
Spanish chef Omar Allibhoy puts sweet figs, creamy cheese, salty...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter