Moussaka filo parcels
- October 2007
- Serves 8
- About 70 minutes
A moussaka recipe with a crunch. Serve alongside a salad for dinner.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g lamb mince
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 600g (about 2 medium) aubergines
- 8 sheets of filo pastry
For the topping
- 150ml Greek yogurt
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 25g freshly grated Parmesan
- 50g feta
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until soft. Increase the heat, add the minced lamb and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, until browned. Drain off the fat in a sieve, then return the meat to the pan.
- Add the purée and cinnamon and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, then half-fill the can with water and pour into the pan. Add the oregano, season, and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the grill to medium-high. Cut each aubergine diagonally into 5mm-thick slices. Brush with oil, put half on a baking sheet and grill for 5 minutes, turning halfway, until pale golden. Drain on kitchen paper while grilling the remainder.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. For the topping, mix the yogurt, egg and half the cheeses. Season with pepper.
- Halve 8 filo pastry sheets. Melt 40g butter and use to brush 8 sheets.
- Halve the grilled aubergine slices and lay 1 in the centre of each filo. Top with the mince and 1 more aubergine piece. Brush the filo with butter, scrunch into parcels and spoon in the topping.
- Scatter with the cheese and brush with butter. Bake at 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7 for 18-20 minutes.
Rate & review