Mustardy mac ‘n’ cheese
- May 2014
- for 4 people
- Hand-on time 25 min.
A dollop of mustard adds a nice kick of heat to this easy mac ‘n’ cheese recipe.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 18g (9.2g saturated)
- 65.5g (2.2g sugars)
- 300g pasta (we used shells)
- 150g half-fat crème fraîche
- 100g mature cheddar or vegetarian alternative
- ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley leaves
- 4 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- Bring a pan of well salted water to the boil, then add the pasta. Cook for 8 minutes or until al dente, then drain, reserving a few tablespoons of the pasta water.
- Mix the pasta water with the crème fraîche in a large pan and over a low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat and grate in almost all the cheddar, then stir through the mustard. Season well.
- Heat the grill to high. Chop the parsley, then stir into the sauce along with the cooked pasta. Transfer to a 1 litre ovenproof dish, then scatter with the dried breadcrumbs and the rest of the cheese. Season, drizzle over a little oil, then grill for 12 minutes or until golden. Serve with a green salad.
Use a combination of cheeses such as cheddar and blue cheese or emmental and gruyère, if you have them.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Macaroni cheese recipes
Macaroni cheese with spinach and pesto pangrattato
We’ve taken macaroni cheese to the next level with this easy cheesy, pesto-y vegetarian recipe...