Healthier macaroni cheese
- October 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook
We’ve made the all-American macaroni cheese recipe healthier by replacing the calorie-laden white sauce with puréed squash.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 23.7g (12.9g saturated)
- 64.8g (8.7g sugars)
- ½ butternut squash (about 400g), peeled, deseeded and chopped
- 300ml skimmed milk
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- Good grating of nutmeg
- 350g macaroni
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 150g vintage cheddar, grated, plus 3 tbsp extra to top
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the butternut squash and milk into a pan and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook for 10-12 minutes until the squash is tender, then add the cream and, using a stick blender, whizz to a purée. Add the nutmeg and season to taste.
- Cook the macaroni in a pan of salted water for 5 minutes until it starts to soften but is still quite firm. Drain, then add a little of the olive oil to prevent it sticking together. Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, add the onion and gently fry for a few minutes to soften. Stir in the mustard powder and garlic, then cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add the onion mixture to the purée, then stir in the cheddar. Toss with the macaroni, season to taste, then transfer to a 1.2 litre ovenproof dish. Top with the remaining cheeses, then bake for 15-20 minutes until golden on top. Leave for a few minutes before serving.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Macaroni cheese recipes
Macaroni cheese with spinach and pesto pangrattato
We’ve taken macaroni cheese to the next level with this easy cheesy, pesto-y vegetarian recipe...