Oaty nutmeg breakfast muffins
- December 2016
- Makes 12
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 25 min
Grab a couple of these spiced carrot and banana muffins for breakfast on the go, or enjoy one of these warming treats with your afternoon coffee.
And if you get bored of those then try our savoury frittata muffins instead.
- 19.4g (10.8 saturated)
- 36.2g (20.2 sugars)
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 small, ripe banana (about 150g), mashed
- 1 large carrot (about 105g), coarsely grated
- 225g butter, melted and cooled
For the topping
- 25g light muscovado sugar
- 25g demerara sugar
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1½ tbsp sunflower oil
- 75g unsweetened muesli
You’ll also need…
- 12-hole muffin tin and 12 muffin cases
- Heat the oven to 190ºC/170ºC fan/gas 5. Line the tin with the cases.
- Beat the eggs and 150g sugar in a mixing bowl using an electric mixer for about 6 minutes until pale, thick and moussey. Sift the flour and 2 tsp nutmeg into separate medium bowl.
- Using a large metal spoon, gently fold the banana, carrot and butter into the egg mixture, followed by the nutmeg-laced flour. Spoon the mixture into the cases.
- Mix the topping ingredients in a bowl, then sprinkle evenly over the muffin mix. Bake for 25 minutes or until risen and golden.
- Remove the muffins from the tin to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm.
Cool, cover and store in a cool place for up to 48 hours, or freeze in bags for up to 3 months, then defrost. Refresh in a warm oven (or in the microwave for a few seconds) to serve.
Rate & review