Marcus Wareing’s omelette Arnold Bennett
- March 2012
- Serves 4
- Ready in 40 minutes
This recipe was reputedly created for the eponymous writer whilst he was penning a novel at the Savoy hotel. This particular recipe for Omelette Arnold Bennett was written by Marcus Wareing.
Pushed for time? Check out our quick omelette Arnold Bennett recipe ready in just 15 minutes.
- 41.2g (17.6g saturates)
- 5.5g (2.5g sugars)
- 400g undyed, boned, skinned and smoked haddock fillet, cut into 4
- 8 medium eggs
- 50g unsalted butter, for cooking
- Fresh chervil or parsley, to garnish
For the mornay sauce
- 15g unsalted butter
- 15g plain flour
- 200ml milk
- 30g Denhay Dorset Drum or Sage Derby, grated
- 1/2 tsp English mustard
- Dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- Make the sauce. Melt the butter in a pan over a medium heat, add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Warm the milk in a separate pan and gradually whisk into the flour mixture. Bring the sauce to the boil, stirring until thickened. Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from the heat. Stir in the cheese, mustard and Worcestershire sauce until the cheese is melted. Stir in the egg yolks, beat well and season.
- Preheat the grill to high. Put the haddock on a foil-lined baking tray. Pop under the grill for 2 minutes until half-cooked. Set aside in a warm place. Keep the grill on.
- Make 4 omelettes separately. For each, beat 2 eggs in a bowl. Heat a 20cm non-stick omelette pan with a heat-proof handle, and add a knob of butter. When melted, add the eggs. Cook over a medium heat, stirring once, until the omelette is set on the bottom but wet in the middle.
- Slide a slice of haddock on top of the omelette, then spoon over 4 tablespoons of mornay sauce. Flash under the grill until just browning. Repeat with the remaining eggs, fish and sauce. Garnish with herbs and serve each omelette as it’s ready with chunks of crusty bread and a green salad.
Novelist Arnold Bennett was so delighted with an egg, smoked haddock and parmesan concoction that chefs at the Savoy created for him, he insisted on it being made wherever he travelled.Omelette Arnold Bennett still remains a standard dish at The Savoy to this day.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Masala omelette with spinach and soured cream dressing
Chetna Makan has spiced up a classic omelette, topped it with spinach, then finished it...