We answered the 10 most-Googled food questions
You asked, we answered…Discover the answers to some of the most-Googled food questions including how to make the perfect omelette, tips for melting chocolate in the microwave and steps for cooking an oozy baked camembert.
How do you peel a pineapple?
Slice off the crown of leaves at the top of the pineapple, then cut off the bottom to leave a flat base. Stand the pineapple on a flat end, then use a sharp cook’s knife to cut away the skin by slicing down the side. Finally, lay the peeled fruit on its side and cut out the remaining eyes in a series of shallow diagonal strips.
Want to know how to chop a pineapple, too? Check out our full guide on preparing this tropical fruit.
How can you tell if an egg is bad?
Eggs are usually safe to eat a long time after their sell-by date – but how do you know when they’ve actually gone rotten?
The simple answer: you’ll be able to smell it. If you’re not sure whether an egg has gone bad, crack it into a shallow dish (rather than straight into your cooking) to test if it smells off. Trust us, you’ll know if something’s not right.
Alternatively, do the float test. Drop the egg into a bowl of cold water; if it sinks, it’s fine. If it floats or stands on it’s side, it’s more likely to be off or at least, very old. That’s because as an egg ages, air builds up inside the shell, causing it to float.
How long should you cook a chicken breast in the oven?
Like any joint of meat, the time a chicken breast takes to cook in the oven depends on its weight. A typical chicken breast (around 120g) would require approximately 10-15 minutes at 200°C/180°C fan, or until the juices run clear. If you’re still unsure, slice into the middle of the breast to check that there are no pink bits.
How do you cook samphire?
Samphire can be cooked in many ways; our tip would be to treat it similarly to asparagus – try steamed, boiled or griddled.
Bring 100ml of water to the boil, then place a sieve or steamer over the water and let the samphire steam for 2 minutes.
Blanch the samphire in boiling water for 1-2 minutes, making sure it still retains its crispness.
How do you cook rice?
Cooking perfectly fluffy rice every time needn’t be difficult. A simple rule of thumb is to use 2 parts water to 1 part rice – 300ml of rice (in a measuring jug) and 600ml water is perfect for 4 people.
Put the rice and water into a medium to large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid (this part is crucial so the steam doesn’t escape). Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to its lowest setting. The rice will take 12-15 minutes to cook. (Do not lift the lid before the time is up.) If it’s not quite cooked, give it a few minutes more. Remove the lid and let the rice dry off for a minute. Fluff up with a fork and serve. Easy!
Make sure to check out the full guide on how to cook perfect rice for even more tips.
How long do you cook a hard boil egg for?
The perfect boiled egg is tricky to get right and varies depending on how runny you like the yolk. As a general guide:
3 minutes: part of the white is translucent and the yolk is very runny
4 minutes: a set white and a creamy yolk
5 minutes: a set white and firm yolk that’s slightly squidgy in the centre
For more tips and tricks on how long to hard boil an egg, check out our perfect boiled egg recipe.
How to melt chocolate in microwave
Learning how to melt chocolate in the microwave will save you lots of time and washing up. The trick to melting chocolate successfully is to keep your eye on it!
Note: make sure to keep checking the chocolate at 20-30 second intervals, to avoid burning.
For dark chocolate…
Microwave at 900W on medium-high for 2-3 minutes.
For milk chocolate…
Microwave on medium for 4-5 minutes.
For 125g white chocolate…
Microwave on medium-low for 4-5 minutes.
How long should you bake camembert in the oven?
Whether you’re searching for an easy feed-a-crowd starter or fancy a decadent weekend lunch, an oozy baked camembert always hits the spot. Bake one to gooey perfection by following our simple method:
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Make a cross in the top of a whole, boxed camembert with the tip of a sharp knife. Then, put the box on a large square of foil.
- Poke a few garlic slivers and a couple of fresh rosemary sprigs into the cheese, add a glug of dry white wine, then seal the foil up like a parcel. Bake for 25 minutes until gloriously gooey.
We love serving it with crusty sourdough and breadsticks for dunking…
How do you make an omelette?
Want to nail the perfect omelette? You’ve come to the right place! From how many eggs to use to the best pan for frying, this is how to make the perfect omelette…
- You need to use a smaller pan than you might think (around 22cm is ideal). This will help you to control the cooking of the eggs and prevent them turning rubbery.
- Remember: the better the quality of your eggs, the better the omelette will taste.
- Beat 3 medium eggs in a bowl with a pinch each of sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
- Heat a generous knob of butter in a small non-stick frying pan until foaming. Add the eggs to the pan and swirl so they cover the whole surface.
- Using a wooden spoon or spatula, gently draw the eggs in from the sides (do this slowly as the egg starts to set), tilting the pan at the same time so the uncooked egg fills any gaps on the base of the pan.
- Once the egg is almost cooked (the top should still be a little runny and the underside golden brown), use your spoon/spatula to loosen the omelette from the pan, then fold it in half. Slide the omelette out of the pan onto a warmed plate and serve.
How long does it take to steam broccoli?
Cooking broccoli to crisp perfection can be a challenge. Turn your attention away for a second and you’re left with a mushy green mess not worthy of consumption. That’s where steaming comes in handy…
First, fill a saucepan with water and set over a high heat to boil. Put the broccoli florets in a sieve or steamer, place the lid on top and then place over the boiling water. Leave to steam for approximately 5 minutes (adjust the timing to suit your preference).
Tip: take care not to over-cook (this can be a matter of minutes) or the broccoli will discolour and turn yellow!
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine this month for a half price subscriptionSubscribe