Oreo cookie chocolate trifle
- November 2020
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus chilling
This Oreo cookie trifle is set to be a new festive favourite and requires just 20 minutes of prep plus chill time. The cookies add a lovely bit of crunch and an extra choc hit, and mascarpone makes for a luxurious creamy topping. A Christmas dessert for adults and kids alike!
For an adults-only version, dip the trifle sponges in a coffee liqueur, such as Tia Maria or Kahlúa. Or try this Baileys trifle instead!
- 47g (28g saturated)
- 41.6g (27.1g sugars)
- 8-10 trifle sponges
- 300ml double cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 110g bag Oreo Chocolate Dipped Crunchy bites
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- 154g pack Oreo cookies
For the chocolate custard
- 300ml whole milk
- 100g dark chocolate, grated
- 2 medium free-range egg yolks (see Tips)
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 250g mascarpone
You’ll also need
- 20cm medium trifle dish
- First make the custard: heat the milk in a saucepan over a medium heat until steaming hot but not boiling. Take off the heat and add the grated chocolate, stirring to help it dissolve.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar, then sprinkle over the cornflour and mix it in until smooth. Slowly pour over the chocolate milk, whisking to incorporate it, then transfer the mixture back to the saucepan. Cook over a medium heat, stirring all the time, until the custard thickens. Take off the heat and set aside to cool a little, then stir in the mascarpone. Lay a piece of damp compostable baking paper on the surface to stop a skin forming and chill for 30 minutes (see Make Ahead).
- Arrange the trifle sponges and full-size Oreos in the base of your trifle dish, then spoon over the chocolate custard and smooth the surface. Cover and chill for 2 hours to allow the custard to set fully.
- Just before serving, whip the double cream with a balloon whisk to reach soft peaks (a peak will form when you lift the whisk out of it, but will fall back into the mixture within a few seconds). Spoon the cream over the trifle. Dust the trifle with cocoa powder, then arrange the mini Oreos on top, roughly chopping some of them for extra texture. Dive in!
Keep the unused egg whites for other recipes: whisk with a pinch of sugar/salt and freeze in a labelled airtight container for up to 3 months.
Chill the trifle up to 1 day ahead, but top with the whipped cream and mini Oreos just before serving. Cover any leftovers covered and keep chilled for 3-4 days.
Rate & review