Oreo cookie chocolate trifle
- November 2020
- Serves 6-8
- Hands-on time 20 min, plus chilling
This Oreo cookie trifle is set to be a new festive favourite and requires just 20 minutes prep plus chill time. The cookies bring a lovely bit of crunch to the texture, and the mascarpone makes for a luxurious creamy topping. A Christmas dessert for adults and kids alike!
If you like a boozy kick, dip the trifle sponge in a coffee liqueur such as Tia Maria or Kahlua. Or, go for this Bailey’s trifle instead!
- 47g (28g saturated)
- 41.6g (27.1g sugars)
- 8-10 trifle sponges
- 300ml double cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 110g bag mini Oreo cookies, crumbled
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- 154g pack Oreo cookies
For the chocolate custard
- 300ml whole milk
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped, plus extra for grating
- 2 medium free-range egg yolks (see Tips)
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 250g mascarpone
You’ll also need
- 20cm medium trifle dish
- First make the custard: heat the milk and chocolate in a saucepan until steaming hot, stirring to help the chocolate melt.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour until combined. Pour in the chocolate milk, whisking to combine, then pour the mixture back in the pan. Cook, stirring all the time, over a medium heat until the custard thickens. Set aside to cool a little, then stir in the mascarpone. Chill for at least 30 minutes with a piece of damp compostable baking paper on the surface to stop a skin forming.
- Arrange the regular-size pack of Oreo cookies and trifle sponges in the base of your trifle dish, then spoon the chilled chocolate custard mixture on top and smooth over the surface. Chill for 2 hours, covered, to allow the custard to set fully (or see Make Ahead).
- Just before serving, whip the double cream in a bowl with a balloon whisk to reach soft peaks (that flop over when you remove the whisk), then spoon on top of the trifle. Decorate the top of the trifle with the mini Oreo cookies, then grate over the extra chocolate and add a dusting of cocoa powder. Dive in!
Use up the unused egg whites in other recipes: whisk with a pinch of sugar/salt and freeze in a labelled airtight container for up to 3 months.
Chill the trifle up to 1 day ahead, but top with the whipped cream and mini Oreos just before serving. Keep any leftovers covered and chilled for 3-4 days.
Rate & review